Practice History: 1863 - 1963
On the retirement of the William Mason in 1877, Mr Thomas Stevenson joined the firm. Two years later, on Stevenson’s retirement, Mr N Y A Wales became the sole partner until 1891, when his son P Y Wales joined the firm. The buildings they erected and designed comprise many of the largest and most important public, mercantile and private houses in the city of Dunedin, throughout Otago generally and in various parts of the colony.
The second N Y A Wales was born in Dunedin in 1896, the son of P Y A Wales. He was educated at Waitaki Boys High School and after several years of building apprenticeship, he joined his father in the Architectural practice and then almost immediately went overseas as a soldier in the NZ Expeditionary Force. He was wounded in action and returned to New Zealand where he rejoined Mason & Wales Architects and completed his studies. Later, he was elected President of the New Zealand Institute of Architects (1955-56), an office previously held by his father (1913-14).
In 1956, the third N Y A Wales (Niel) (1927 – 2011) became a partner in the firm, having studied at Otago Boys High School in Dunedin, and at the Auckland University School of Architecture, and following work and travel overseas in Europe, Canada and the United States. Niel was involoved with the modern day practice, up until his passing in 2011.
J O Aimers and R W Seaton joined the firm as Partners in 1962, and retired in the 1980s.